|Page (1) of 1 - 02/28/12||email article||print page|
High-Performance Computing Customers Gain Greater Capabilities to Address Big Data Requirements Through NetApp's Collaboration With OpenSFS and EOFS CommunitiesCooperative Efforts With Industry Leaders Underscore NetApp's Commitment to Support Growth and Expansion of Lustre (February 28, 2012)
SUNNYVALE, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 02/28/12 -- Government organizations, universities, and labs worldwide that rely on high-performance computing (HPC) face increasing challenges in managing and processing growing data volumes to advance scientific research and design next-generation products. These organizations have turned to solutions based on the Lustre file system to improve the speed and accuracy of scientific discovery and obtain insights faster into areas such as genomics, bioinformatics, defense, and climate simulation modeling research.
As part of its effort to work closely with leading organizations to drive continued innovation with the Lustre file system, NetApp (NASDAQ: NTAP) today announced that it has joined the OpenSFS and EOFS (European Open File System) communities. OpenSFS is focused on increasing collaboration, communicating requirements to Lustre developers, and supporting a release of Lustre that addresses key customer needs. EOFS promotes the establishment and adoption of Lustre as an open source parallel file system with continued support to sustain and enhance its quality, capabilities, and functionality by addressing the specific requirements of European organizations, institutions, and companies.
- This expanded collaboration with industry leaders worldwide builds further on NetApp's continued investment in HPC. NetApp recently teamed with Whamcloud to announce the foundation of the Open Benchmark for Lustre initiative to define, standardize, and promote storage system benchmarks using Lustre.
- NetApp brings a proven history of helping customers meet extreme demands in HPC environments to transform their big data into business success. Most recently, the Department of Energy selected NetApp® as the storage foundation for Sequoia, one of the world's most powerful supercomputers.
- NetApp's portfolio of big data solutions allows customers to break through performance barriers to unlock new insights; gain a competitive advantage with better, faster business decisions; and create new business opportunities.
- The NetApp High-Performance Computing Solution for Lustre, announced last fall, efficiently scales bandwidth and density with proven reliability to solve challenging research, modeling, and simulation problems.
- David Dale, director, Industry Standards at NetApp
"NetApp big data solutions are foundational to business success and have proven instrumental in enabling customers to unlock insight into the power of growing data volumes, make better decisions, and drive successful business outcomes at the speed of today's business. The Lustre file system has gained in popularity for its ability to enable success by providing a platform that meets the performance, scalability, and capacity requirements for storage environments that require very high bandwidth. We look forward to collaborating with the OpenSFS and EOFS communities to enable the continued growth and development of Lustre and open standards high-performance file systems."
- Norman Morse, president at OpenSFS
"OpenSFS is pleased to welcome NetApp to our growing list of participants. With each new participant, our community is strengthened and our ability to provide support and development for the Lustre file system is improved. NetApp has already demonstrated leadership and commitment to the community in many ways, including proposing the Open Lustre Benchmarking working group. We are pleased to have NetApp as an Adopter Participant in OpenSFS and we look forward to working together in the future."
- Learn more about NetApp HPC solutions: www.netapp.com/lustre
- Learn more about NetApp big data solutions: www.netapp.com/us/company/leadership/big-data/
- Follow NetApp on Twitter: www.twitter.com/NetApp
- Get the latest on NetApp culture: www.facebook.com/NetAppCulture
- Join NetApp on Facebook: www.facebook.com/NetApp
- View NetApp videos on YouTube: www.youtube.com/NetAppTV
- Connect with NetApp on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/groups?about=&gid=111681
NetApp creates innovative storage and data management solutions that deliver outstanding cost efficiency and accelerate business breakthroughs. Our commitment to living our core values and consistently being recognized as a great place to work around the world are fundamental to our long-term growth and success, as well as the success of our pathway partners and customers. Discover our passion for helping companies around the world go further, faster at www.netapp.com.
NetApp, the NetApp logo, and Go further, faster are trademarks or registered trademarks of NetApp, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. All other brands or products are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders and should be treated as such.
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords: NetApp, NTAP, NetApp Data Storage, NetApp Virtualization, NetApp Storage Efficiency, Data Management, Business, Data Storage, Standards/Initiatives, Storage, USA, Marketwire, Inc., , Agricultural Science, Genetics, Business, Other,